Peace scripture for today








"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." — James E. Faust

Psalms 34: 14" ...and do good; seek peace, and pursue it"

Isaih 43: 1, 2, 5 "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rives, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned: neither shall the flames kindle upon thee. ..Fear not: for I am with thee"







Peace is not passive. It is an active journey.



And another:

But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war….many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. (Alma 62:41)



At first glance, this scripture may not feel like it is about peace, but, as I read it, I can understand in a new way, that peace is a choice. Where some are hardened, others are humbled. Which will I be?













Sunday, November 21, 2010

There is peace available

"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." 
 James E. Faust

I have decided that, while I cannot control my immediate circumstances all the time, I can always benefit from seeking peace in every aspect of my life.  The Savior promised us His peace "My peace I leave unto you".  This is not a tentative promise.  I cannot always have joy and a life of ease, but I can always have peace and hope.

Today,  my husband lives somewhere in Iraq.  He will be there for a year.  A year is a very long time.  It is longer than a pregnancy, it is longer than 4th grade, it spans from one Halloween costume to the next.  It entails missing birthdays, Christmas, an 11th anniversary, and more than 52 Sundays with family.  I hoped I would not have a chapter like this in my book of life, and yet I do.  When we found out that he was going to be going, I felt robbed of choices.   My heart would tear every time I thought of our children missing out on a year with their dad-- he loves being a father and is a very sweet father.  He is also my best and kindest friend-- how does life work at a distance?  I cannot talk about his absence without showing the heaviness in my heart-- tears brim in my eyes whenever anyone asks me with real interest "How are you?  How is  your husband?  How are your children doing?"  These kind questions make me cry.  We miss him!  Oh, how we miss him!

After the initial shock that came from the news that he would be going to Iraq, I began to feel peace.  Peace that all is well in my life and that peace will be available to me throughout the process.  I have a choice, I can tap into peace or I can ignore the opportunity of experiencing peace.  I have decided to seek peace in throughout the year.  I cannot make this a passive journey, I have to actively find peace-- pray for peace, pray in gratitude for the goodness in  my life.

 I am dedicated to creating more peace in my home, more peace in my world, more appreciation for the goodness we enjoy in our lives.  We have decided to count our year down in weeks rather than days.  We are counting from Sabbath to Sabbath.  One more day, one more week-- I can break things down into pieces.  We can make each week good.  We can find peace and hope each week.  We can learn the art of peace.  We will be peacemakers and share our peace with each other and with others.  We will learn how to bring peace into every day, week, and season of life.    The journey of peace is a blessing that I can offer to my children and husband.  We can grow and find a joy in the journey this year.  We are not going to be together as a family, but, we have not changed-- we are a family, united by love, separated by distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment