Peace scripture for today








"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." — James E. Faust

Psalms 34: 14" ...and do good; seek peace, and pursue it"

Isaih 43: 1, 2, 5 "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rives, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned: neither shall the flames kindle upon thee. ..Fear not: for I am with thee"







Peace is not passive. It is an active journey.



And another:

But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war….many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. (Alma 62:41)



At first glance, this scripture may not feel like it is about peace, but, as I read it, I can understand in a new way, that peace is a choice. Where some are hardened, others are humbled. Which will I be?













Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Dog

We got a dog.  We named her Zoey.  Alan has been pushing me to get an animal for the children for years.   I don't disagree that children should have animals, but, it's really the mother that ends up having the animal.  My emotional needs are perfectly met by the people in my family.  I don't have an emotional need for an animal but I understand that people do have their emotional needs met by animals.

 I have always resisted and I can readily come up with a list of very good and practical reasons why we shouldn't get an animal or at least why the timing was not quite right.  Alan looked for dogs before he left and I tried to work on my attitude.  Alan made sure that the yard was ready and the fence was fixed before he left.   Alan looked, studied, checked into and budgeted for a dog.  I prayed and talked to myself and tried to get excited about a dog and what a difference it would make for the children while he is gone.  I know perfectly well that the dog will be my responsibility.  There is no way around that.  The children can help take care of the dog, but I am the one that ends up cleaning up, making sure it has what it needs and making sure that the training is happening.  Also, when I am home during the day, I have to be with the dog.  I had to focus on the enthusiasm and the potential good for the children.  Each one is so happy to have a dog.

The dog that we have is as cute and sweet as could be.  Kailey, Seth and Jordan are so happy about having a dog and are doing a good job with her.  They play with her and take her outside and try to help her follow the rules.  I like Zoey and am really trying hard to be a good dog owner.    Right now, we are working on house training.  For the most part, she is doing well.  I am learning how to do it as I go and trying to read and ask from any source available.  Alan wanted a bigger dog and a different kind of dog.  Zoey is a small terrier mix.  Zoey is as much as I can take on.  I am so grateful she is little and very mild tempered.   If there is any chance for me to be successful at the dog owning scenario, I think Zoey is my best bet.    Now that we have a dog, my job is to make sure that I don't complain and that I choose to look for the goodness in having a new, sweet little dog as part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment