Peace scripture for today








"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." — James E. Faust

Psalms 34: 14" ...and do good; seek peace, and pursue it"

Isaih 43: 1, 2, 5 "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rives, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned: neither shall the flames kindle upon thee. ..Fear not: for I am with thee"







Peace is not passive. It is an active journey.



And another:

But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war….many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. (Alma 62:41)



At first glance, this scripture may not feel like it is about peace, but, as I read it, I can understand in a new way, that peace is a choice. Where some are hardened, others are humbled. Which will I be?













Sunday, June 19, 2011

If I were a rich (wo)man...







I love this song in the Fiddler on the Roof.  This story of Jews in Russia and the changes that take place that eventually drive them out of their homeland.  The story is of family, love, heartbreak, fear and faith. 

In one part of the show, Tevye is discouraged and imagining how different and wonderful his life would be if only he were a very, rich man.  He'd have a nice house, he'd have servants, his wife would be well dressed and FAT(Oh why wasn't i born in that time when fat was so very good:)  He'd have all of the best, and most importantly, people would come to him and ask for his wisdom. 

The fiddler shows up intermittetly throughout the movie reminding one of the difficulty of trying to balance life's difficulties and decisions.  Tevye explains it this way:
But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn’t easy.”

Like Tevye, we try, we work hard, we do our best. Our chalenge is to stay on the roof.  We must understand the difficulty while retaining the will to fiddle and dance.  Dissatisfaction is a habit.  When i am dissatisfied with something in my life, it becomes larger than it truly is.  It is as if I am carrying a giant magnifying glass and have no ability to put it down and see things as they truly are.   I cannot hold the magnifying glass and the fiddle at once, something must go. 

I have been worrying about next steps and letting the worries of finances get in the way of enjoying today.  Tomorrow will come and I will be more equipped to understand and address the worries of the months ahead by focusing on the solution and doing what I know to do.  I have recently realized that I have been letting worry steal a large presence in my mind.  I was fretting.  I was praying three days ago and, as I was praying I had a significant realization-- worrying and fretting is a choice and I don't have to choose it.  I can plan to work, move forward, do my best.  I can plan to trust God.  Today, I do not see the path that we will be taking in a few months but, today, I have three children who would like a happy, somewhat carefree mother to plan a summer that holds fun, adventure, learning and memories. 

I can live within my means, pay my bills, save as much as I can, and I can let the worry go.  My choice.  I can drag the worry behind me where ever I am and let it weigh me down and dampen my thoughts or I can strive to do what is important and good each day and let tomorrow take care of itself.  Worrying has a negative impact and does not provide solutions. 

Today I will fiddle.  Today I will remember my blessings.  Today I will look for someone that needs a friend.  And then, I will be a rich (wo)man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment