Peace scripture for today








"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." — James E. Faust

Psalms 34: 14" ...and do good; seek peace, and pursue it"

Isaih 43: 1, 2, 5 "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rives, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned: neither shall the flames kindle upon thee. ..Fear not: for I am with thee"







Peace is not passive. It is an active journey.



And another:

But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war….many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. (Alma 62:41)



At first glance, this scripture may not feel like it is about peace, but, as I read it, I can understand in a new way, that peace is a choice. Where some are hardened, others are humbled. Which will I be?













Sunday, May 29, 2011

On a journey

I am on a journey.  My location is not going to change but my journey is an emotional, and physical one nonetheless.

At the beginning of a jouney that one has planned, there is typically excitement, resolve and anticipation of the good things hoped for that served as the basis for starting the journey.   My journey is not of my choosing.  I can dwell on the fact that I didn't choose my particular path willingly or I can look around me and bless my fellow travelers. 

As I am walking my particular path, that of a spouse of a deployed soldier, I can keep my eyes down and study the bumps in the road and feel the weight of the load I carry.  I can also choose to look around and see my fellow travelers on the path of uncertainty--a mom going through a divorce trying to create goodness in her home for her boys, a friend whose financial burdens will result in loosing her home, not sure where she will live next, not sure if her son will still live with her of if her ex-husband will get custody when she looses her home, another that walks on this path with me has the heartbreak of watching her adult child making painful life choices of addiction.  Such difficulty.  Such heart-ache, and yet, we can all find peace. 

I can choose to lower my head and look inward, focusing on the everpresent pit in my stomach or I can look around me and bow my head in thanks for my blessings. 

Everytime I have tried to play the "poor little me" car that seems to be constantly laying in front of me, I recognize that it is not my honest place.  When we were in England and found out that the poeple attempting to purchase our home in Utah had moved out and left the keys sittin on the counter and left the doors unlocked, I started to head down the road of overwhemed "how do we get through this financially"?  and then, I got a note from a dear friend telling me of his journey in this difficult economy.  He lost his job, right around the same time his wife was diagnosed witha brain tumor.  The operation left her partially paralyzed.  He has moved his family in with his parents and is seeking employment and carrying on for his wife and children.  He does not dwell on the pain and the uncertainty.  He speaks of the involvment in the life of his children, his church and his wife.  He speaks of love and blessings. 

The same day, we watched the movie "Invictus" about apartied  in South Africa, Mandella and the process of bringing together South Africa.  When we went to bed that night, I asked Alan how we were going to manage.  He wise said "My wife doesn't have a brain tumor and I haven't spent the last 27 years in prison.  I have a landlord problem, my life is good, we have no real problems"...perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment