Peace scripture for today








"Everybody in this life has their challenges and difficulties. That is part of our mortal test. The reason for some of these trials cannot be readily understood except on the basis of faith and hope because there is often a larger purpose which we do not always understand. Peace comes through hope." — James E. Faust

Psalms 34: 14" ...and do good; seek peace, and pursue it"

Isaih 43: 1, 2, 5 "But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rives, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned: neither shall the flames kindle upon thee. ..Fear not: for I am with thee"







Peace is not passive. It is an active journey.



And another:

But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war….many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility. (Alma 62:41)



At first glance, this scripture may not feel like it is about peace, but, as I read it, I can understand in a new way, that peace is a choice. Where some are hardened, others are humbled. Which will I be?













Friday, February 4, 2011

Dear Catherine,

Today, my dear friend Catherine emailed me and asked how I am doing.  I have been so blessed in my life with good friends that show their love for me in so many ways.  Catherine asked how I was doing, and, my heart is lifted just by the question.  I am grateful for my friends who ask me how I am doing and truly have a heart to listen. 

My response to Catherine today was a good reflection of my process right now:

We are doing ok.  Sometimes I do ok, and then I hit a bump where it just isn’t ok.  I seem to cry at least once a day.  Not for long, often-times more just tearing up, but, I find that my emotions are always close to the surface.  I am not even always sad, sometimes I cry when things are cute, sweet, when someone is kind to me, when someone asks how Alan is doing, when someone understands my heart…I am just always close to tears it seams.  I am grateful for prayers and thank you for putting us in the temple and for telling me about the prayer.  Prayer is such a lifeline for me.  I know that people are praying for me and I have asked Alan to say a prayer each night (well, when it is night for us) around bedtime and ask God to protect us and our home.  I have always had a hard time at night and, the prayers of others and my prayers have combined to strengthen me and give me peace at night.  I will always hate nighttime, but, I am not gripped with fear like I have been in the past.  I ask God to send angels to stand at the corners of our property (I am not sure there is any doctrinal reference point here, but it works for meJ) and then I go to sleep, trusting that the words “Oh know ye not that angels are near you, from darkest night into day” are literal and available to me. 

Oh how grateful I am for angels on heaven and earth and for the prayers of good people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment